Thursday, November 10, 2011

Proposed Changes for Next Season

It's time to starting thinking about the next ATB, tentatively set for early spring of 2012.  During the off-season I'll be updating our database with various 2011 players and improving upon our fatigue settings.  Additionally, I am toying around with the following changes:

1) 28 Man Rosters

  • To speed up the draft, especially since I want to expand # of teams
  • I am all for platooning, but want to make sure this isn't over used.  
2) Iron Man Injury Ratings
  • DMB allows for an iron man injury setting, reducing the odds a player gets injured.  It does not eliminate the chance of injury.  Batters and Pitchers will have unique sets of parameters, and I want to keep the number of players with this rating to under 20%.  First Draft:
a.    Batters 
i.    160 games 1961 – current
ii.    152 games 1904-1960
iii.    135 games 1893-1903
iv.    140 games 1886-1892
v.    1885 or early not eligible
b.    Pitchers
i.    35+ starts 1994-current
ii.    36+ starts 1988-1993
iii.    38+ starts 1924-1980
iv.    40+ starts 1909-1923
v.    45+ starts 1897-1908
vi.    50+ starts 1893-1896
vii.    68+ starts 1874-1892
viii.    55+ starts 1871-1873


3)  Clutch Ratings.  All HOF'ers and Negro Leaguer's to be considered 'clutch'.  Minor impact, per DMB:
If you use them, batters and pitchers with better-than-normal clutch and jam ratings will be a little better than usual in the late innings of close games. But this isn't a strong factor in the design of the game, so we recommend that you avoid placing a lot of weight on these ratings when making your decisions. It's rarely a good idea to use a weaker player over a better one just because the weaker player may have a better clutch or jam rating.

4) Finally, I am toying around with idea of reducing the number of games played per week.  Right now it is about 15. Perhaps we can play 2 games per mini-sim and reduce it to 10 games per week.

Would love your thoughts on all the above.  nothing is set it stone, but I am fairly convinced 1 and 2 are great ideas, 3 and 4 less so.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I support both 1 & 2 but I'm not much for platooning anyway. Ironman seems like a pretty good deal as teams often resemble the walking wounded at sometimes. I don't think 3 will factor into my decisions at all so a MEH for me. #4 is completely whatever is easiest for you IMO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou, all the changes seem reasonable to me and I'm all for mixing things up in a reasonable way. A 16 week season sounds good to me if it's OK with you ...

    Would you permit petitioning you for clutch ratings, or perhaps make some assessments of your own on current/recently retired guys?

    ReplyDelete