Thursday, January 30, 2014

Impact of Draft Position

Nothing too exciting here, but Mike S and I were talking the other day about how yearn for an early pick.  It got me thinking of updating an old post (can't find it) about which teams either went to the playoffs or won the world series and comparing that to their place in the draft.

This time I wanted to focus on wins:

Click to Enlarge
There is too much noise to say anything definitive - ATB has changed so much year over year - but it does appear a Top 5 pick certainly helps a great deal.  Averaging the # of wins in groups of 5:

1-5 :  85.2
6-10 : 77.0
11-15: 81.4
16-20: 82.2
21+ :: 75.5

My gut tells me the drop off from 6-10 is now 5 or so slots later, almost entirely due to the inclusion of the 1800s batters in ATB 11 and the Negro Leaguer's last year.

Don't like your slot, have no fear.  Every position except 22 has had at least 1 winning season.

No comments:

Post a Comment