Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Painful 11th inning for Ankhana

I happened to be watching this game, and I can't express the excruciating pain I felt at these two back to back plays in extra innings.

Lets set the stage.  My Ankhana team has been mediocre, at best, this year so far.  We are hovering around .500, but it feels like the other shoe is about to drop with a -15 run differential.

We've played 9 (9!) 1-run games already this season, while most other teams have half that.  We took a 2 run lead early, but we coughed it up in the 7th and 8th when Addie Joss was kept in too long (in my opinion anyway.  Note to self to update player tendencies on Friday).  Anyway, in the 11th I finally get something going off Dellin Betances (1.80 ERA, 7 K, 0 BB, in 7 IP type a guy) with runners on 1st and 2nd and 1 out.

Oh, this is against the division leading Red Wings of course.

Pinch hitter David Ortiz ropes a single to left.  Gehrig tries to score.  Throw by Ralph Kiner, it's there!  Collision at the plate, the Iron Horse versus Mike Piazza!  Out!!!!!  Piazza held on somehow despite Gehrig coming in full tilt.

M'fer.

One batter later, with runners at first and second again.  John Reilly with a base hit!!  This could give Ankhana the lead!  Bill Dickey trying to score, here's the throw by Larry Doby.  Collision at the plate!  Dickey leading with his shoulder and elbow first.... out!!!!  Piazza holds on again!!!

I wanted to scream.  I am paraphrasing the play by play, but close enough.

I just felt like sharing the play by play for one single game in April that meant the world to me. 


 Ankhana ended up winning on a Lou Gehrig single.

No comments:

Post a Comment